Here is the recipe:
1 tbs honey
3 tbs yeast
1 1/3 cup hot water (about 120 degrees)
Another 1 1/3 cup hot water
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup oil (olive or the healthy omega 3 oil from Smart Balance)
2 tsp salt
approx. 7 cups whole wheat flour
Put honey and yeast in large bowl (I use Kitchen aid mixing bowl). Add 1 1/3 cup hot water from tap and let it sit for 5 minutes until it bubbles. Use mixer and add the other 1 1/3 cup water and slowly add oil while mixing on low. Add molasses and salt. Start adding flour. My mixer will only mix about 4-5 cups flour so I add that amount, remove from mixing stand and add the rest of the flour and stir with wooden spoon. Once dough is not so sticky, dump out on counter and continue to add flour as needed and start to knead dough. Knead for 10 minutes or until elastic. It's really important to knead the dough long enough or it won't rise as high and it will come out dense. It's also important not to add too much flour. The dough should still be slightly sticky when done, although not to the point where it will coat your finger when you touch it.
Once it is kneaded and ready, place dough ball into well oiled large bowl, cover with towel and put in warm place for one hour to rise. I like to warm-up my oven to 170 degrees while kneading and then turn it off and stick it in there to rise. It should double in size.
After 1 hour remove, punch down dough, and put on slightly floured surface. CUT dough in half (do not tear the dough) and gently roll out dough into rectangle shape, about 6 inches wide by 14 inches long or do. Then roll up the dough and pinch the ends together. Turn it seam side down into well-oiled bread pans. While doing this, heat your oven back up to about 170 degrees, turn off and put bread pans, covered with towel, back in oven to rise. Let rise for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove from oven or warm place, heat oven up to 375 degrees and bake bread for 30 minutes.
That's it! This is so easy and so inexpensive that anyone can do it. However, I will admit that the first few times I did it it did not rise as high or get as soft. It took me about 3-4 times of making it to get it right, so don't give up if it doesn’t come out right your first try. Let me know if you have questions! Enjoy!
"... for it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." Laura Ingalls Wilder
Monday, November 10, 2008
Very Simple 100% Whole Wheat Bread
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'd love the recipe for the bread as well as the whole wheat quiche from an earlier entry. Glad to know that I'm not the only one that struggles to balance family and working from home. I do feel lucky to work from home most of the time but it can be overwhelming to always split my attention and try to focus on two things at once. I really envy the fact that you home school, the school day is soooo long. Emma loves it and I tell myself that fact that she gets to be in plays, dance, drama, music and art class is something for me to be thankful for as those things are certainly not my strength to teach. We do miss Oregon but have really enjoyed South Carolina. We are commiting to explore our immediate region more now and have enjoyed it. When we first moved out here we took advantage to how close we were to all things on the east coast and kind of skipped over our immediate area. We have been lucky to find a nice community of friends here and we love our old neighborhood. It's so nice that we can walk to a bunch of Emma's friend's houses. We will be back in Portland for Christmas, we would love to catch up if you are around, we come in the 24th, Sandy leaves the 27th and the girls and I leave the 30th. We need to come back in the summer but have now scheduled a trip to Paris to visit a friend that has invited us. Flying on frequent flyer miles and a free place to stay in Paris made it too hard to say no so we're going. I still need to get Anna a passport. I love your blog and it inspired me to try one since we have family and friends all over the place. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteAllyson
Cha-Cha-Cha-CHECK you out! I'm so jealous of your baking skills!
ReplyDeleteWe made the bread this weekend. We had a blast and it turned out great. Thanks for sharing the great recipe.
ReplyDeleteAllyson