Monday, February 9, 2009

The Hen Hotel and Other Home Projects

The finished coop! Room for 8+ chickens. Shane built this using mostly recycled wood and materials from the Habitat Resale store. The chicks are coming on Valentine's Day but won't be ready to move into their "Hen Hotel" until they are about 8 weeks old.

Here are some photos of Shane and the girls working on the coop over the weekend. They had a lot of fun helping paint it. This has really become a family project which is one of the best parts of this little adventure. Of course the eggs will be nice too.


My mom brought this sign back for me from Santa Fe so of course we had to hang it on our coop. Given that we'll be seeing our coop a lot since we live in town with a small yard and can see it from our family room, we wanted it the chicken coop to be attractive.


This is a pot rack that Shane rigged up for me using a vintage crib rail I've had in the garage for years. With some chain and some S hooks it makes a perfect place to hang our pots.
Total cost: less than $5.

4 comments:

  1. I love my country bumkins! The sign your mom brought back is perfect and how cool that you used the crib rail for the pot rack... that's my creative girl!

    MMH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-my-goodness: WHO did that soup type? THAT IS A BOOK COVER RIGHT THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No fair no fair no fair!! I WANT A BABY CHICK!!!

    I am THIS close to booking a ticket for February to come there, just so I can see the baby chicks and what the girl's faces look like when they see them. Oh my goodness, it's going to be beyond words. Beyond pictures. If only you could put some special potion on the chicks to freeze them in chick-hood forever. That would be heaven.

    I think Skeley gave me fleas, my hair itches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That coop looks like a good place to banish husband's to when they've been bad:)

    Shane did a great job! I like the pot holder too.

    ReplyDelete