"... for it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." Laura Ingalls Wilder
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
advent and preparing for Christmas
A couple weeks ago, on December 1st, we drove out to the girls' piano teacher's (Tracie) tree farm to pick out a Christmas tree. We enjoyed a weekend of decorating, baking and celebrating advent with the lighting of the first advent candle and a little hot chocolate party. Church on Sunday was magical with the addition of many fresh trees lining the sanctuary and beautiful Christmas carols sung together.
We always have lots of people here for Christmas and we usually exchange handmade gifts with both sides of our families who spend it with us. So this month has been oh, so busy as we sew, bake and make lots of sweet gifts. The girls are taking it especially serious with detailed lists of what they are making for whom, what supplies they need and weekly deadlines of what to make. I'm enjoying all the crafty fun along with the girls and am so thankful to spend my time at home with them making meaningful gifts instead of hitting up the stores for "just the right thing". With five children, 3 of them 2 and under, I don't have as much time to make the beautiful things I wish I could make, but I am learning to be okay with that. :) I downsized my original plan of making mittens for everyone and am now just trying to finish up two pairs of super soft wool mittens for the girls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment