"... for it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." Laura Ingalls Wilder
Monday, December 31, 2012
goodbye 2012
Today, to celebrate the end of another year, the girls requested to go to one of their favorite places - the taxidermy museum at the Mt. Angel Abbey - and sketch the animals in their nature notebooks. Shane happily obliged taking them there and a walk around the hilltop grounds of the Abbey, even stopping in the lovely church to listen to the silence and then a solo organist - while I stayed home and made lots and lots of food for the freezer. Today and over the weekend I whipped out sourdough English muffins, corn bread, a giant stock pot of soup, tons of bean and cheese burritos, two kinds of cookies, and dozens of bags of various beans for soups, salads and quasadillas. Most of it went in the freezer for easy meals for the month.
When they came home we all got into a festive mood and there was much excitement in the house as we all worked together to make homemade pizza and snacks for the evening. Shane and the girls had rented three movies in town and we enjoyed our dinner around the TV. I had made up some simple little mystery bags with a clock face on each bag as a fun way to count down the hours until midnight. At about 7 pm, Chip came over from next door and he and Shane and the kids launched their annual New Year's hot air balloon using a dozen birthday candles, McDonald's straws and a dry cleaning bag. I have to admit it was pretty cool watching that thing take off into the night sky and send bottle rockets flying off it as it rose above Silverton. I wonder what others in town thought as they saw a bright, burning light float across the sky? The kids loved it of course.
As I type this Shane and the girls are watching their last movie and soon it will be time for them to take pots and pans outside and ring in the new year. As I think back on this year I am so thankful for my health this past year, meeting my goal of not having to go to the doctor for any health problems for the year, and most of all for the peace and purpose that comes from having a personal relationship with Jesus. I am thankful that I am growing in my knowledge of him, that fruit is being produced in my life and that when I fail, which I do so often, he is there to forgive me, pick me back up and help me do it a little bit better the next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment