Tuesday, November 29, 2011

shalom

 




I finished my first sweater just for me! This Shalom sweater was very easy, quick and fun to knit and I love the 3/4 length sleeves. The yarn is Cascade Ecological wool in Antique and the buttons are fabric covered buttons from JoAnn's.

Confession: I've turned into a crazy, obsessed knitter. Does anyone else knit fireside with a headlamp strapped to their forehead so they can see their work while listening to audio books? Surely there must be some kindred knitting spirits out there whose idea of a fun Friday night also includes these things? My sweet husband just laughs at my silly get-up and even humors me by checking out new patterns to try on Ravelry.

This week I'm working on a collection of forest critters and little red toadstools for the children's advent calendars. I'm listening to Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression. I've read this book before and I loved it then and love it now. For more Yarn Along inspiration, head over to Ginny at Small Things.

20 comments:

  1. I almost let out a chortle imagining you with a light strapped to your head!! I am obesessed too and I had not thought of using one of those lights so thanks for sharing lol. I am new to your blog, hope to see more of your projects in the future. I love the sweater btw! Tricia crunchycatholicmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the knitting obsession...maybe I'll add a head lamp to my wish-list - could be just the thing for late night knitting.

    I love your Shalom! It looks wonderful on you...Your little sweetie look awfully darling is his hand knits, too!

    And I can't resist commenting on your boots - love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly prefer audiobooks, I love books but hate to give up my crochet and knitting time :D Haven't gone so far as the headlamp yet... though I think it's only a matter of time!

    Love the cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Shalom. I made one out of Eco wool this summer. I love it. I too have a headlamp to knit with as I listen to audiobooks. It cannot be helped!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Shalom is so beautiful, I have knitted 2 of them, I love this pattern:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a funny post...this is lovely Tirza it really made me giggle...great idea about the headlamp!

    I love the cardigan too. I'd like to have a go at the pattern...it looks good in grey one of my favourite colours...

    Have a good day,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - No head gear yet! But I am just getting back into knitting & listening to audio books.
    Thanks for heads up on book, just added it to my wish list in audible.com.

    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sweater looks lovely! Well done. I don't knit by lamplight but I do confess to having a little knit ritual. I simple love watching Agatha Christi's Poirot and Miss Marple as well as Midsommer Murders - I love a good 'who dun nit'. Unfortunately I'm the only one in my home who does, so when I can, I enjoy catching up on an episode while knitting ;o) - Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos are simply beautiful! What a lovely knit!
    The book sounds like just the kind of read I like too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely outfit, and te Shalom is the perfect topper. Love the colour of the yarn too, and the sleeves. That is on my post yule list for myself. In fact loving verry much all the knitty goodness in your photos.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sweater is beautiful! I also think a good evening includes lots of knitting but we don't have a fireplace so I don't need the headlamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are not alone!! I am an obsessive knitter that just thought about getting a headlamp! I am knitting a black scarf and the shorter days/less light aren't helping my cause. I love your sweater, it is in my Ravelry queue. I really like it in grey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great! I knit a shalom not too long ago, but mine was a sleeveless version. I really like how it looks with sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tirza- your shalom is lovely! LOL well I don't have a lamp on my head- but that IS a great idea ;) I HAVE been known to clip a booklight to myself and knit in a dark car though ;) Usually I knit while the kids are schooling or while I sit in front of the TV with DH in the evenings- and I have been desperately wanting an OTT light to sit beside me and light up my work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sweater is so pretty! I have yet to knit myself anything besides a cowl, I tend to knit for my babes and nieces and then never have time left over for myself! And I never thought about using a head lamp for knitting! I might have to try that! I bought Little Heathens last year, but haven't read it yet, I think I might have to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tirza,

    That first photo is absolutely the cutest thing I've seen in a while! You can just feel the love you both have for the photographer!

    Great sweater!!! Happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look lovely! What a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE Sisters! My friend and I are going shopping there next week. I grew up in Bend. Seven years into my marriage when our first 2 children were 4 and 2 we moved into the home we live in now in Prineville... Small world!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful Shalom! I have been known to sit with a flashlight on occasion, but a headlamp is so much more efficient :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful sweater! I have always been nervous about making a sweater for a grown up person, lol. You have inspired me! Maybe I should make it a New Years Resolution, lol.

    ReplyDelete