Monday, December 12, 2011

a life of less



 


 









 

 
The past few days I've felt a nagging feeling that things are out of balance, my rhythm not quite right. 

Granted there is a new baby in the house and that always calls for a new normal. But with the holidays and hosting three big parties (another next week), Christmas coming up and all the to-dos of this season, the things that I value had sort of slipped to the bottom and I was starting to feel it.

This week I made a vow to put my values at the top and let them drive my day. Instead of days that are full of more (more activities, more errands, more obligations) I want a path of less.
  
It's not that there is anything wrong with activities and all the things on my agenda, it's just that with the more I add to it, the more it starts defining everyday life.

It's during the downtime, the simple everyday moments at home that I'm building connections with my children, deepening the love with my husband, creating a peaceful harmony in our home and finding contentment with this life I've been given.
 
These things I value, the ones I want to create the framework for my life center around this path of slowing down and choosing less. For the past couple years I've found inspiration and encouragement to live more simply and deliberately through daily time with the Lord, various books and websites like this, thisthis and this.

PS. All photos are from today, an ordinary day of school work, piano lessons, Christmas letter mailing and a late afternoon walk.

5 comments:

  1. It looks to me like you're building a beautiful life. The photos are lovely.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this post. I love the slow days of soaking up family time. These are wonderful photos. I'd love to pop by for a visit - your home looks like such a warm, lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes life can just seem to take over and you are not so much living it as being dragged through it. i get that way too. too much scheduled, to much on my plate and instead of being in this moment my mind is all over the place. i step back, take a deep breath and remind myself that the most important thing is right here, right now, with these people who i love so much. being a homemaker, for me, feels like such a blessing, and an honor. i love making a home for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what great pictures (of a very busy day!!!)
    love the cow hat (this very unhip grandma just discovered that these critter hats are HOT HOT HOT with the elementary age kids--so just made the grandsons monkeys--better late to the party than not at all!)
    The picture--lovely! Baby in tow...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so very true! I'm relishing in these very ordinary days, too, and learning to embrace what's truly important (which often means letting go of perfection--such a sense of freedom in that!) Thank you for sharing these words of wisdom and this beautiiful post.
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete