Tuesday, December 20, 2011

crafty (and a finished yarn along project)
























These days I'm constantly vacuuming up glitter, sweeping up fabric scraps and delighting in all the goodies coming from the kitchen. Also this week:

1. I ordered these simple (and inexpensive) wooden toys for West on etsy and yesterday the girls and I painted the rainbow stacker and all the little houses and trees. That's all he's getting for Christmas but I know he's going to love them.

2. We've been baking lots of goodies for Christmas baskets. Mustard, granola and mini pumpkin breads are just a few of the goods. And I LOVE these Cath Kidston labels. I want to make more stuff just so I can use these labels.

3. Recently a friend used my oven mitts when bringing us a meal after Silas was born and she was shocked that I only owned two pot holders. This week I finally used a pattern from Handmade Home by Amanda Soule to make these sweet little pot holders.  Think anyone will know that two of them are made from our old duvet cover? Shane refuses to use those; he thinks it's sort of weird that our bed sheets are now pot holders in the kitchen.

4. The Sculpey clay is being used up faster than I can afford to buy it, but who can resist such darling little figures as these babies Mira made?

5. Snowflakes are now adorning our front windows.... and threatening to take over our house. I'm trying not to express my frustration at the constant stream of paper scraps littering the floor from this never ending project.

6.  I vaguely remember nodding my head a few weeks ago when Mira asked if she could throw a winter party at our house. Then a few days ago we started getting RSVP's and I guess a party was in the works. She planned, set up and prepared for it all her self including the ornament craft, the gift exchange, winter themed games and a lunch complete with "snow" dip for the fruit. I just sat back and enjoyed the party and marveled at how big my girl is getting.

7. The little toadstool and the other forest critters are being set up in countless little winter scenes (with the Playmobil of course).

8. My latest knitting project, a Tuesday Night cowl for my mom, was finished last night. Hopefully she isn't checking this blog before Christmas. It's super warm and cozy and I'm happy with how it turned out.

16 comments:

  1. That cowl looks really comfy!
    I also love, love, love your rainbow.
    Where did you get the soy paint?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh that cowl does look very cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I got the soy paint at our local pharmacy/drug store that sells random odds and ends. $2.09 a bottle, can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well aren't you a Jill of all trades! I love that rainbow, it's so pretty. Makes me happy just looking at it. Stopping in from Ginny's. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, such lovely crafting and beautiful goings-on at your home! I love the yarn you chose for the cowl, too.
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh tirza i really LOVE this post! your photos are so adorable and charming, and all your crafts and knitting are fantastic. that rainbow is the cutest thing ever. and can you believe how big your girl is!? they do grow too fast.
    and all those paper scraps will someday be a very good memory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. TIrza, everything looks lovely. AbbySue had an especially wonderful time at Mira's party...thank you for welcoming her in to your home. We can't wait to have you all over. Merriest Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, so much wonderful creativity! I'm very impressed and quite inspired too! Can someone push Christmas back a few weeks???

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cowl! And I am totally inspired by all of the crafty goodness! I will have to look into the soy paint, that sounds like a good option for my babes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love the rainbow!! I've saved the store to go back after Christmas & see what I can find for the Easter baskets! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been busy - delightfully so it sounds. I did not know about soy paint. I'm assuming it's better than other types of paint? Love the potholders (recognized the pattern) and the mustard!! Wow. The cowl looks good too- such cheery bright colors.

    My boys are presently using sculpey to make odd looking heads and people for claymation movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - lots of crafting going on! Love the colors of the cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FABULOUS! I wasn't feeling Christmassy until I saw your post. I love the scarf. Happy Chistmas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I have just found your blog! Wow - those wooden rainbows are gorgeous! Can I ask where you bought them? Would love to pain our own - store bought are so expensive! And those deer in the miniature gardens.... they are so hard to find!

    Rach xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. forgive me, I have just seen the links in the paler shade of grey.... So happy to have found your blog - very inspiring! xxx Squiggly Rainbow - Rach - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete