Tuesday, January 31, 2012

finger knitting and fabric play





























For this week's Yarn Along with Ginny, my girls wanted to get in on it and show how they like to knit. In the above photos Annah demonstrates oh-so-easy finger knitting. Simply weave the yarn back and forth through four fingers and back again so each side of each finger is wrapped. Then lay the yarn across the fingers about half way up the finger above the loops and pull the loops on the fingers up and over the working yarn that is laid across the fingers. It's that easy! It's a great way to teach the basics of how knitting works.

This week the girls also pulled out their fabric paper doll set that my mom made them. These darling cloth paper dolls are made from a yard of this fabric. Simply cut out the dolls, back with iron on interfacing and flannel and create a play mat with flannel or chenille.

As far as my own knitting, I'm still working on my Annabel sweater in quince & co. mustard yellow, but in the meantime I needed a quick and easy project because the rows of garter stitch on the sweater is pretty monotonous. This domesticated wrap skirt was just the thing. It took me about 30 minutes to make and I love the fabric - the yellow even matches the Annabel. The great thing about this skirt is that when one side gets dirty (or covered in spit-up as happens to me way too many times a day) you simply untie, twist the skirt around and retie (see the two photos above). And you have an entirely new skirt! I made this with two 3/4 yard pieces of fabric and I bought bias tape instead of making my own. You can find the directions to make your own here.

9 comments:

  1. Your skirt is so pretty and what a clever idea!! Another item to add to the to-do list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the skirt, I run a home day care and never manage to get past lunch time without getting 'dirty'! Thanks for the directions, I think i'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not wait for the little wee one here to be old enought to learn finger knitting. It looks like your sweet girl is having a great time.
    Thank you for the fabric paper doll link. We have some "paper" ones,but I would love to have fabric ones.
    I am working on a Quince pattern too, Abigail, but Annabel is next on the list and Ihad planned to use mustard!
    Happy Yarn Along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell your daughter she's doing a wonderful job finger knitting! We have a wooden spool and it's virtually the same thing as spool knitting!!! I also blogged about a children's book called "Extra Yarn" that I bet your daughter would like...

    ReplyDelete
  5. so much cuteness! your girls with their knitting and paperdolls and your darling skirt. well done mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the skirt...I think I will add that to my to-do list.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos and I love your skirt!

    I can't believe I haven't subscribed to your blog already! Just added you to my Google Reader - such a lovely blog x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful skirt! Thanks for the link. I think I might now know what sewing plan I will do this month or next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That skirt is brilliant! Thanks for sharing all your beautiful craftiness :)
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete